25/11/2010

Albert Watson @ the V&A

Although it was quite well hidden on the V&A website and kept relativly low key, there was a talk/discussion with Albert Watson this Tuesday I had to go to! It was really inspirational and he is so real and down to earth which obviously is reflected in his images. There was also his latest book 'UFO' (unidentified fashion object!!) on sale which he signed for me. I probably should have been prepared and bought it on Amazon (like I do with most things) but couldnt say no for £55, especially signed. The book is truly gorgously glossy- perfect for a coffee table book or to simply be inspired by which I will certainly do every now and then as his images attain such a pure sense of depth and rawness it is impossible not to be inspired by them all.

I love how he creates fashion images in such a subtle way with far more meaning than a simple shallow perspective which you may expect from a more contemporary fashion photographer. At the talk he said that he was inspired by absolutly everything and doesnt work with just fashion but also more with 'pure' forms such as landscapes and still life which assist his vision with portrait and fashion work. As spoken from his own mouth; his word are 'not fashion pictures but photographs of fashion'.

There is an exhibition of his work at the Hamiltons gallery at the moment which I will most certainly be going to as soon as I have a breather from my own projects!! Below there are some of my personal favourite photographs of his and the front cover of his new book which you must have a look at. There are so many images of his which are stunning so I was pretty limited in this sense as I cant go posting hundreds here Im sure you can see from just these three that he is something else..!




No comments:

Post a Comment